Review: Hide From Me

by - June 10, 2017


Hide From Me
Mary Lindsey
Hardcover, 400 Pages
Young Adult, Paranormal
Publisher: Entangled
Release Date: November 7, 2017
Overall Rating: 4.5/5



"We all hold a beast inside. The only difference is what form it takes when freed."

Something's not right about Rain Ryland's new hometown. On the surface, it's a friendly, tight-knit community, but something deadly lurks underneath the small-town charm. Everyone he meets is hiding something—especially Friederike Burkhart, the hottest girl he's ever laid eyes on. Rain's determined to find out her secret, even if it kills him...and it just might.



Okay first thing first . . .wow. 

Description wise there was not too much to go on and I had no idea in what direction the story would go. I wasn’t sure how not knowing a little more about would turn out for me, I’m really picky about a lot of things but I found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. One of the first things that stood out to me was Rain himself, this is a book told from a male point of view, written by a woman without going back and forth between different character point of views. This is something I don’t think I’ve come across too often, and honestly I wasn’t sure how I would response to it but I loved it, or at least I loved Rain. Even though we have few things in common I found Rain to be relatable and likeable. Friederike was great character, she was strong and confident yet weak and insecure at the same time. It made her seem more real, I feel like she handled everything thrown at her in a way that seemed completely true to her character. 

I won’t go into much detail as I don’t want to give anything away but this one kept me on toes, I’m usually good at figuring out who to trust in books and very rarely does a book surprise me on that front but this one did. I was side-eyeing every character and only at the very end was I sure about anyone. Every character in the book good or bad had a role to play, and they all turned out to be important to the overall story. For a book with 400 pages not once did it feel long or bloated, I flew right through it. The story flowed smoothly, the pacing was just right. It showed a new take something old ideas and weaved an interesting world that I hope to see again. The tale was a little darkly yet beautiful woven, I could easily picture everything in my mind. 

This book was great, it had a protagonist who was able to show off more than one side of himself, we felt that we could relate to Rain and at the same time felt like we didn’t know him at all. A strong female lead who didn’t take anyone’s crap, fights, friendship, confusion, a mystery that will keep the reader engaged and guessing until the very end, magic, and the ever-wonderful Aunt Ruby. 

10/10 would recommend to a friend or anyone really. My only complaint was I wished there was more Aunt Ruby and we learned more about Rain's mother, other than that I can’t think of anything I didn’t like about the book. This was a really good book, one that I could easily see myself coming back to time and time again. Do yourself a favor and read this book when it’s released. Mary Lindsey did not disappoint; I’ll be on the lookout for more of her books.

**Disclaimer.: I received an ARC of the book. All opinions are true and my own**

You May Also Like

0 comments