Review: Touch of Frost

by - August 04, 2011


Touch of Frost
Jennifer Estep
Mythos Academy Book 1
Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Kensington;
ISBN-13: 978-0-75826-692-7
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Overall Rating: 4.5/5  

            

Gwen frost is the new girl at the Mythos Academy, her mom just died and aside from her grandmother she’s alone. Gwen has always been able to “see” things by touching an object. But what Gwen isn’t able to see is why she’s at this school with descendents of the gods. With kids who have powers, warrior children, Gwen isn’t a warrior, she doesn’t fight and she doesn’t believe in the gods. So the question on her mind is why she’s at the school.
A loner with zero friends, Gwen keeps to herself but when one of her classmates dies in the library where Gwen works and no one else seem to care, she takes it upon herself to find out what happened. This adventure isn’t turning out the way Gwen thought it would be. Allies pop up in the most unlikely people, friendships are built, and questions are finally answered.

When I first saw that this book recommended to me on Amazon and I realized it dabbled in Greek mythology I knew I had to read it.  I’m so glad I did. I couldn’t enough of this book. I loved the whole thing. Gwen was a change pace and it was definitely welcomed. I am so tired of the new girl becoming popular two seconds after she walked in the door because life really isn’t like that. Gwen was a character I thought most teens could relate to. She was confident and insecure at the same time the way that most of us are. She was smart, at time funny and always herself. Slowly but surely she made friends with people who liked her for who she was and not because she was the prettiest or the richest but because she was always true to herself.

This book had all of the basics that I look for when reading a book, a solid plot, good storyline, likable characters, conflict, a touch of mystery, and a hint of romance okay more a than a hint. There was a lot of romance in this book, there was even a bit of love triangle but that didn’t overshadow the main point of the story.

I loved reading a book and getting lost into, reading the character grows and become more sure of themselves. Seeing how they handle the problems that are thrown their way.  This was a book I had to see the whole way through, I couldn’t put it down and finished it in one seating. I marked it down and find myself counting the days until I have the sequel in my hands. If you haven’t read this book yet what are you waiting for go get it.


{Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author to enable my review. All opinions presented here are my own.}


You May Also Like

0 comments