Review: Nightshade

by - December 10, 2010

Nightshade
Andrea Creamer
Nightshade Book 1
Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Published by Penguin Group (USA)
ISBN-13: 978-0-39925-482-6
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 
            
First I was drawn to the book by the beautiful cover then the description. When I opened the book I was sucked in, from the first chapter. I surprised by Calla because now a days in books it’s all about female heroines who meet their dream boy and discover that he is apart a world she thought real only in dreams. And it’s rare to find a main character so unbelievable strong and so young at the same time. From the beginning Calla stole my heart and made me want to find out more about her, I found myself wishing that I was a part of Calla’s world. There were many likable characters in the book, I was rooting for everything to work out the way it was supposed to, but of course things never turn out the way we would like them to.

Calla will become Alpha female of a new pack and mate with Ren who will become Alpha male. This was decided upon their birth and everyone knew this. I love the relationship between the two and I was really for them to make their pack. You can tell that no matter how Calla might fight it she has a strong feelings Ren.

Then in comes Shay a hiker that Calla saved from death. Calla and Shay meet again in school and it is clear that they share a bond, that part I found believable. What I just couldn’t get into was the “love” that they supposedly shared. I could see Calla and Shay having some kind of feelings for each other because of the bond that they share and their search for the truth about Shay’s past but love? No I couldn’t even believable that for half of a second. The Calla/Shay love was a little too forced for me, it was seemed like it was just something added to throw a wrench in Calla and Ren’s relationship. I tried to view the so called “love” between the two from Calla’s point of view and understand it but I just couldn’t.

Aside from that one problem I had with the book I found it amazing, fast paced, and exciting. Usually when I read a book by the time I get to the middle I can tell you what will happen in the end, but when it came to this book I can honestly say that this is probably the second time I have ever been wrong about the ending. So with that being said I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a great book whatever the genre. 

You May Also Like

0 comments