Top Ten Tuesday: Surprised Me

by - March 13, 2018



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to and is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. Each week will be a different Top Ten list. Everyone is welcome to join and link up. 
This week is: Books That Surprised Me (in a good or bad way)
I split my list in half five books that surprised me in a good way and five that surprised me in a bad way.

*This list is no specific order*
*Click book title or series for Goodreads link

1.        Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark-Hunterverse #22)
I was surprised by this book not because I didn’t think I would like it, I knew I would like it Sherrilyn Kenyon is a genius when it comes to putting a story together. I just couldn’t understand how I would like it because throughout the series I hated the character Styxx. If you were a fan you hated him. But surprisingly I love this book, it made me happy, and it made me cry, Styxx is honestly one of my favorite characters now.

2.      Someone Else's Fairytale by E.M. Tippetts (Someone Else’s Fairytale #1)
This one surprised me because I thought it was going to be another average story about a down to earth meeting and dating a superstar but it was more than that. It had real depth and the deeper story than I expected. It had me emotionally invested in the characters and story.

3.       Haven by Mary Lindsey (Haven #1)
I got an ARC of this book, at the time the cover was completely different and it was called ‘Hide From Me’ I loved this book. The story was well written and I liked that it was from the POV of a guy. This is book you can’t really talk about without giving too much away.

4.      27 Hours by Tristina Wright (The Nightshade Saga #1)
This is another book I got an ARC of I was so glad I did. I was surprised by story itself and how much I liked it.

5.      Fate of Flames by Sarah Raughley (Effigies #1)
This book was good but what I was surprised by was the world building. How refreshing the world and story was. I don’t think I had ever read something like this before.

6.      The Awakening/The Struggles by L.J. Smith (The Vampire Diaries #1-2)
L.J. Smith and vampires, what could go wrong? Apparently everything because I did not like this series at all.

7.       Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn (Voices of Dragons #1)
I am a fan of Carrie Vaugh and I absolutely love dragons, the world setup was good and the story sounded like one I would enjoy but I was surprised at the fact that I didn’t like it.

8.      How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks (Love at Stake #1)
When some girl recommended this book to me in Barnes and Noble I just knew I was going to love it. I was wildly into vampires at that time and was reading books similar to it but turns out this book wasn’t for me.

9.      Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #17)
This is the 17th book in the series, I read all the ones before it but the series was going downhill, I didn’t like the direction the character of Anita was going in. Hamilton was rewriting everything that made Anita who she was and I was surprised at how much it bothered me.

10.   The Forsaken by L.A. Banks (Vampire Huntress #7)
I started this book and never finished, it wasn’t a series I loved or thought it was amazing but it had promise. It could have been really good. I was surprised at how I couldn’t get pass the first two chapters

You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. I haven't read any of these books. I do like it when books surprise you in a good way though. A wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a lot of these authors, but not any of these books. I really liked the first couple of L. A. Banks' Vampire Huntress series and then it seriously faltered for me. I got about 4 or so books in and quit.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 27 Hours is one I was interested in after seeing that awesome cover! I have to add that one to my TBR for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was glad when the Anita Blake series got back on track as well, also Someone else fairytail is on my TBR for a while now but I didn't hear good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be adding some of the books you've listed to my ever growing reading wishlist!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-surprised-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven’t got to Styxx yet, but I’ll believe it when I see for myself. I just can’t imagine liking him at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I think I would enjoy all these!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/book-blogger-insider-tag.html

    ReplyDelete