Review: The Curse of Tenth Grave

by - April 21, 2017



The Curse of Tenth Grave
Darynda Jones
Charley Davidson Book 10
Hardcover, 352 pages
Romance, Mystery & Thriller
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Release Date: June 28th 2016
Overall Rating: 4/5


As a Part-time PI and fulltime grim reaper, Charley Davidson has asked a lot of questions throughout her life: Why can I see dead people? Who is the hot supernatural entity following me? How do I get gum out of my sister’s hair before she wakes up? But, “How do I trap not one malevolent god, but three?” was never among them. Until now. And since those gods are on earth to kill her daughter, she has little choice but to track them down, trap them, and cast them from this dimension.

There’s just one problem. One of the three stole her heart a very long time ago. Can the Razer, a god of absolute death and destruction, change his omniscient spots, or will his allegiances lie with his brothers?

Those are just a few of the questions Charley must answer, and quick. Add to that a homeless girl running for her life, an innocent man who’s been charged with murder, and a pendant made from god glass that has the entire supernatural world in an uproar, and Charley has her hands full. If she can manage to take care of the whole world-destroying-gods thing, we’re saved. If not, well…

After the events of the last book everyone is trying to move on and protect who and what they love. Charley spends her days talking to ghost, solving murders and wondering if her marriage to smoking hot son of Satan, Reyes is over, but she is one person who should know that things aren’t always what they seem and the best thing to do is talk to Reyes. No matter what she remembers you can always count on Charley being well . . . Charley, so of course she won’t do that and instead have her loveable amazing best friend Cookie try to figure it out. Even with that Charley’s quick wit and sassy attitude make her the lovable dork that she is. You can’t help but love her and want to her friend.

What can I say?

Darynda and Charley never seem to let me down. I can always count on the series for a few laughs and a good mystery without giving me too much or not enough. I will say that I enjoyed this book more than the last in the series, though that isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy the last one. It’s just good to see the gang back where they belong doing what they do best, where everyone remembers who they are. The gang is fighting a war and with any war there is lost, grief and worry. We find out some shocking and important news that seems like it going to shape the things the gang will do in future books. The ending of the book leaves us wanting more but it’s not so bad that we are ready to kidnap any authors. There is also the feeling there is a conclusion coming soon, or at least that is the feeling I got. If that’s true or not I’ll be here waiting to see how everything plays out.

The book was everything I didn’t know that I needed to get me back in the reading mood. The book was the perfect blend of action, romance, some sexiness, laugher and the right amount of drama. Every aspect of the book flowed together without me getting bored and waiting to put it down. Darynda knows just how to draw a reader in and keep the engaged until the very end. This was book worthy of the series, if you haven’t read the series what are you waiting for? You don’t want to miss it. 10/10 would read again, often.

You May Also Like

0 comments